The costs of living can be quite pricey. Ironically, however, the costs of dying can be quite steep as well. On top of medical bills, family members will have to shoulder funeral costs and they do not come cheap.
Although it may not be your initial concern when you are grieving, there are several ways you can cut back on funeral expenses.
- Shop around for funeral directors first and compare costs before finalizing plans to hire one.
- Consider having the burial at natural woodland areas or your own property rather than at a plot in a local cemetery.
- Use your own vehicle to transport the body rather than the funeral home’s hearse.
- Use flowers from your own garden rather than having elaborate floral arrangements made.
- Have relatives and friends be the pallbearers.