Learning that your parent is terminally ill can place you in an emotional roller coaster. At one point, you are completely devastated by the fact that he or she won’t be with you for very long, at another, you may be thankful that, unlike a sudden death, you are still allowed time to be with the person.
Here are tips to cope with a terminally ill parent:
- Seek out help and talk to someone who has gone through a similar experience.
- Help kids cope my making positive memories while their grandparents still live.
- See this as an opportunity to say goodbye properly.
- Educate yourself on the illness so you know what to expect.
- Research hospice care options.
- Keep in mind that your parent needs emotional support, too.
To learn more, click here.