Losing an important person in your life can be undeniably tough, but losing a beloved pet can be very difficult as well. Pets touch our lives in ways that only other pet and animal lovers can understand. They leave an indelible imprint on our lives and their loss can mean pain tantamount to the passing of a dear family member or friend.
- Don’t let anyone tell you how to feel, and don’t tell yourself how to feel either. .
- Reach out to others who have lost pets.
- Rituals can help healing. A funeral can help you and your family members openly express your feelings.
- Create a legacy by preparing a memorial, planting a tree, compiling a scrapbook, or sharing the memories to celebrate the life of your animal companion.
- Look after yourself. Looking after your physical and emotional needs will help you get through this difficult time.
- If you have other pets, try to maintain your normal routine. Surviving pets can also experience loss when a pet dies, or they may become distressed by your sorrow.
SOURCE: Coping with Pet Loss