Parents who lose a child may feel heartbreak beyond what anybody can fathom. After all, parents expect to see their children mature, pave their own way in the world, and ultimately outlive them. So when a tragedy of this magnitude strikes, people often find themselves at a loss of what to do and how to go on with their lives.
- Know that you are entitled to all of your feelings and emotions.
- Know that there is no time table on your grieving process.
- Set healthy boundaries for yourself. Give yourself space and time to grieve.
- Know that it is scientifically proven that a loss of this magnitude is similar to a major physical injury.
- Find a support network in the form of loved ones, local groups for grief support or your religious institution.
- Be very gentle with yourself. Despite everything, do not forget to take care of yourself.
- Fight a good fight in honor of your child. Take your cue from others who find new purpose through their loss.